Club Support Funding Essential Materials
We will not be holding summer funding hearings unless the Director of Clubs and Organizations decides it is necessary. Please feel free to contact him at email@example.com.
Our club support funding policies have changed for the 2021-2022 academic year, effective immediately. Please refer to the new funding policy manual below and contact your Commissioner for guidance.
Please use the following links to APPLY FOR FUNDING:
- » Download the Club Support Funding Spreadsheet
- » You can see an example of Supporting Documentation
- » Fill out the Club Support Funding Application on PackLife
For club support funding questions, please refer to, read through, and access these materials:
- » 21-22 Club Support Funding Policy Manual
- » How To Apply For Funding
- » Clubs and Orgs: Frequently Asked Questions
You will be held accountable for all information stated above. Club support funding decisions will be made based on the ASUN Club Support Funding Policy Manual.
Purpose of Club Support Funding
The purpose of Club Support Funding is to assist ASUN-recognized student organizations in developing events and activities for students, enriching leadership and learning opportunities, and providing support for club operations and infrastructure. Each funding request is evaluated on its ability to responsibly and efficiently serve students.
It is important to note that ASUN club support funding is meant to be supplementary in nature and should not be a club’s sole form of fundraising. The Commission will consider this when making decisions about funding requests.
Refer to the Clubs and Orgs: Frequently Asked Questions page for more questions and answers.
Club Support Funding Process
Each academic year, the ASUN Department of Clubs & Organizations is allotted a fixed amount of money that can be given out to student groups in the form of Club Support Funding. In order to provide for transparent, responsible, and efficient allocation of limited Club Support Funding, the Department is required to follow a set process when reviewing and approving requests. Club Support Funding is supplementary and there is no guarantee that you will receive funding. Please speak with your Commissioner about alternate means of funding to prepare beforehand.
There are two parts that are required for a club to receive funding:
‣ Funding Applications – A complete funding application includes completion of the given Excel spreadsheet on the ASUN website (which contains the requested items) and supporting documents for each requested item. These must be submitted by the deadline for the weekly meeting which you are requesting funds. Allocated funds must be spent within 30 days of the funding hearing. Links to these materials are found at the top of this page.
‣ Funding Hearing – Funding hearings are the actual public meetings during which the Club Commission approves/denies each individual request. Agendas are found on the ASUN website under Meetings at latest 3 business days before the meeting in which funds will be heard per Nevada Open Meeting Law.
After the Club Commission approves your funding request:
If your funds are approved at the Funding Hearing, your organization is responsible for coordinating with ASUN Central Station and filling out forms correctly to take use club support funding. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more help with Central Station and the process for using club support funding after it has been approved.
- A requesting club must have both their President and Treasurer in attendance at the Funding Hearing to be approved for a funding request. If one or both cannot be present, an email stating who will be representing the organization there (aka a proxy) needs to be sent to a Club Commissioner, the Assistant Director, or the Director in a timely manner.
- For On Campus Event and Travel Tier applications, 50% of the total dollar value of the application must be present in your club account at Central Station by the “50% in Club Account Due” dates for each Department meeting.
Dates & Deadlines
Club Support Funding can be requested under any tier at any time during the academic year. Weekly department meetings will be every Friday at 3:00 PM. The Department will notify you regarding the date and time during which the hearing of your club’s funding application will take place. Funding hearings are required to following Nevada Open Meeting Law. Therefore, agendas for Funding Hearings will be posted on the ASUN Website the Tuesday before each meeting. In order to have an application heard at the Department Meeting held every Friday at 3pm, you must submit the Funding Application by Sunday THE WEEK OF at 11:59pm.
Please note: In order to have an application heard at a Department Meeting held every Wednesday at 10:00 AM, you must submit the Funding Application by WEDNESDAY OF THE WEEK PRIOR by 8:00 PM and email the Assistant Director.
Fall Semester Meeting Dates:
- Friday, August 20, 2021: 3pm, Room: Zoom
Friday, August 27, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, September 3, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, September 10, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, September 17, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, September 24, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, October 1, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, October 8, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, October 15, 2021: 3pm, Room: 320
Friday, October 22, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, October 29, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, November 5, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, November 12, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, November 19, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
Friday, December 3, 2021: 3pm, Room: Senate Chambers
The Tier System
Because of the diverse club population on campus, the Tier system was created to help standardize how the Club Commission approaches honoring each club’s funding request. Requests are divided into four tiers based on the audience served by the funds, the location of the event being funded and the nature of the items to be purchased. Tiers were created as a means of classifying club support funding requests and no one tier is more significant, or more likely to get funding than a different tier.
Note: The current fiscal year runs from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 20212022
On-Campus Tier and Travel Tier
On-Campus Event tier funding is for requests to fund events located on the University of Nevada, Reno main campus, any of its satellite campuses, facilities, or University-owned property and will be open to University of Nevada, Reno undergraduate students. Approved requests shall be allowed to use Inkblot to market the event. Items funded shall include but are not limited to: food, facilities, and materials that are directly related to the success of the event such as promotional items (e.g. event T-Shirts, flyers, posters, etc.).
Travel Funding is for requests to fund direct expenses related to travel. Travel paid for under this tier must in some way enrich leadership, academic, professional, or athletic development towards the club’s mission statement. Items qualifying should be consumable in nature and may include, but are not limited to: travel to and from and registration for conferences, competitions, and seminars. Items used at conferences and competitions are also eligible for this Tier. Lodging will not be funded partially or in whole.
‣ You must RAISE 50% of your total event budget and deposit that into your club account by the “50% in Club Account Due” deadlines for each funding period below. (Ex: Your event costs in total $1,000.00. You will be expected to provide evidence that your club has raised $500 of that $1,000)
‣ Funding cap: $5000 per fiscal year
Operations Funding provides financial assistance to clubs for their day-to-day operational needs. Items funded in this Tier may include but are not limited to: general supplies, recruitment materials, promotional items, project materials, and items that develop infrastructure. The Operations Tier is meant to be an all-purpose Tier used at the club’s discretion for all items absent from the “NO” list. Funded at 100%
‣ Funding cap: $750 1,000 per fiscal year, option to unlock additional $750 500 if club requests and receives funding under the Community Service and Social Justice Tier., an additional $100 per event (up to $300) if a club hosts an on-campus event under the On-Campus Event and Travel Tier, and an additional $200 if club provides proof that 51% of members are fully vaccinated. The on-campus events and vaccination incentives are only applicable to the 2021-2022 fiscal year to encourage engagement and safety following the COVID-19 pandemic.
‣ If your club is granted Operations Funding, that funding must be spent within a month. Otherwise, the Operations Funding will get remitted.
‣ Food and beverages will only be funded for open recruitment events at a maximum of three (3) times per semester. Clubs may not request funds for food for weekly meetings.
Sub-Tier: Community Service and Social Justice
Community service events shall be 100% funded by the Club Commission but only up to the stated funding caps below. This classification includes events that provide services or community outreach to the surrounding community. Items funded under this classification should directly engage club members or participants in the community through democratic civic engagement opportunities and shall directly relate to the service event. Food may only be funded if it directly benefits the service event.
Social Justice events shall be funded at 100% by the Club Commission but only up to the stated funding caps below. This classification includes events that promotes the uniqueness, backgrounds, and diversity of students.
‣ Funding Cap: $500 per year
The “NO” List
Below are items or uses that the Club Commission will absolutely not fund:
‣ Weapons or Firearm Ammunition
‣ Direct donations or contributions (A service or product must be rendered for all monies disseminated)
‣ Retroactive funding
‣ Illegal activities or supplies
‣ Grants, compensation, or wages
‣ Sales Tax
‣ Sales Price
‣ Monthly Subscription
‣ Cost of promotional items that honor, thank or congratulate an individual or group
‣ Transportation costs for an individual or group engaged in class work requirements or job hunting
‣ Enrollment in university courses, academic requirements, or required academic activities
‣ Legal services or bail bond funds
‣ Duplication of services which the University provides for free or at a discounted rate
‣ Items deemed cash or petty-cash by ASUN Central Station or the University Controller’s Office which are outside of the NSHE
Below are a few caps for items that are regularly requested. Please refer to the Club Support Funding Policy Manual for all funding caps:
‣ Screen Printed T-Shirts ($8/item)
‣ Embroidered Polos ($10/item)
‣ Screen Printed or Embroidered Jerseys/Athletic Wear ($20/item)
‣ Screen Printed or Embroidered Sweatshirts, Sweatpants, or any similar outer garment ($15/item)
‣ Color Copies ($0.20/side)
‣ Black and White Copies ($0.10/side)
‣ Airline Tickets ($750/ticket)
‣ Catering ($20/person including gratuity)
‣ Individual Conference Registration ($250/person)
‣ Table Banner ($150/item)
‣ Capital Items ($100/item)
‣ Pizza ($10 /item)
‣ Vehicle Fuel ($0.2875 per mile)
‣ Shipping and Handling ($50 per order)