Skip to main content.

Clubs and Orgs: Frequently Asked Questions


  1. How do I start a new club on campus?

Starting a club on campus is a process that involves a few steps. On the Center for Student Engagement’s Starting a New Club page, you will find all of the necessary steps to starting your very own club. Know that this process can take two or more weeks to complete.


  1. How do I join a club on campus?

On the Clubs and Orgs tab of the ASUN website, you can find all clubs that have completed ASUN-recognition under “Search all clubs.” Search for a club you are interested in, contact their officers for their next meeting time, and attend a meeting! Certain clubs also have additional requirements for active membership.


  1. Who is my Club Commissioner?

Your Commissioner’s contact information, biography, and goals for the year can be found by clicking on the pictures on our Contact Page. Your Commissioner is the person assigned to be a liaison for your club coalition.


  1. What is Central Station?

Central Station is ASUN’s main accounting office located in the ASUN Center for Student Engagement at the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. Central Station is also responsible for managing all club accounts for all ASUN-recognized clubs and organizations. Go to the Center for Student Engagement’s Central Station page for more information.


  1. Am I allowed to have a club account outside of Central Station?

ASUN-recognized clubs and organizations are allowed to have an account outside of Central Station in the following cases: an account affiliated with another University of Nevada, Reno department or an account tied the club’s national-level organization. Any other accounts tied to the organization outside of the University of Nevada, Reno are prohibited.


  1. Can any club or club member attend department meetings?

The Department of Clubs and Organizations follows Nevada Open Meeting Law (NRS 241), a state law outlining rules for public meetings. All agendas are posted at least (3) business days in advance of every meeting and anyone is allowed to attend. Agendas are posted at these locations: ASUN Center for Student Engagement offices in the Joe Crowley Student Union, Knowledge Center in front of the @one, Frandsen Humanities, the ASUN Meetings page, and on Nevada Public Notice.


Club Support Funding

  1. What is Club Support Funding (CSF)?

CSF is money granted to clubs by the ASUN Department of Clubs and Orgs as a means of financial support. This money is different from the money fundraised by your club or money in your club’s club account. Your club can use CSF for almost anything except for items listed on our “No-List”. This “No-List” is on the ASUN website, towards the bottom of the page, and all items your club applies for are subject to the rules outlined in the CSF Policy Manual. Think of Club Support Funding as grant or scholarship money for your organization. Just like university grants and scholarships, you must apply and go through a formal process to receive access to the money.


  1. What is a club account?

A club account is essentially a “bank account” created for each ASUN-recognized organization on campus. You can deposit and withdraw funds from this club account at Central Station. Keeping money in your account is very important when applying for and receiving Club Support Funding due to the 40% requirement for On-Campus, Off-Campus, and Travel Tier applications.


  1. Who do I contact if I have a question about Club Support Funding or need help with the application?

Your first point of contact for any and all questions should be the Club Commissioner for your coalition. Go find your Club Commissioner on our website. If your Club Commissioner is unable to assist you with your question, please contact the Director or Assistant Director.


  1. What happens during the Funding Workshop?

During the Funding Workshop, each club works one-on-one with a Club Commissioner to fill out a Club Support Funding application and get any questions answered. The Commission does not make any presentations regarding Club Support Funding during the Funding Workshop.


  1. I have been approved by the Commission to get Club Support Funding. When does the money get deposited into my club’s account?

Club Support Funding is never deposited into your club account after the Commission approves it. Being granted CSF means that your club has permission from the Commission to use up to the approved amount of money from the ASUN Department of Clubs and Orgs account. Central Station employees are in charge of managing this process. Once you have been approved, please fill out the appropriate form underneath “Accounting (Spending Money)” on our Forms, Policies and Data page to get access to Club Support Funding.


  1. Can I request Club Support Funding after the event in order to get reimbursed?

Under Title II, Chapter B, Section 13 of the Club Support Funding Policy Manual, retroactive funding is not allowed. In the case of a reimbursement request, a club must have been granted CSF prior to the event taking place. A club must then fill out a reimbursement request through a Central Station form. Please expect to wait more than a week for reimbursement to be processed.


  1. How much Club Support Funding can my organization receive per year?

Under Title II, Chapter A, Sections 1-5 of the Club Support Funding Policy Manual, an organization can receive funding for items relating to (4) classifications: Operations, On-Campus, Off-Campus, and Travel. The tier caps are as follows: Operations-$1000, On-Campus-$6000, Off-Campus-$1000, and Travel-$2500. Community service events funded under the On-Campus and Off-Campus tier shall be awarded an additional $250 dollars funded at 100% towards each Tier cap per fiscal year.


  1. What if I miss the deadline for funding, can I still request Club Support Funding for my club or event?

In the case of a missed deadline, clubs can make an Operations Tier request at any time. If your club has missed the deadline and is seeking funding from a different tier, your club can submit an Emergency funding request. In the case of an Emergency funding request, the Commission will hear your club’s request and determine if it should be deemed an emergency.


  1. What if I don’t have the required 40% in my club account by the assigned date on the website?

A deposit of 40% of your full application is only required if your Funding Application is classified as an On-Campus, Off-Campus, or Travel Tier application. If your club does not have the required forty percent in your club account by the dates outlined in the ASUN website, the Commission will perform a calculation that correctly proportions the sixty percent value with the amount in the club account at the meeting your application is heard. That dollar amount is the maximum your club can be approved for.


  1. Do I have to buy the exact item for the price listed on the supporting documentation?

Depending on what is written on the funding spreadsheet, a club must purchase the item related to the line item. A club does not have to purchase that item for the price listed. For example, if a club finds the same item for a cheaper price, a club may purchase that item. If for some reason a club needs to purchase a similar item, but not the one mentioned in the spreadsheet, the club must reach out to the Director and Funding Manager and make a replacement request.


  1. How many members have to be present at the Funding Hearing?

Under Title III, Chapter B, Sections 5 and 6 of the Club Support Funding Policy Manual, the President and Treasurer of an organization must be present during the Funding Request Hearings in which their organization is requesting funds. Should the President and Treasurer not have the ability to attend the Club Support Funding Hearing, they must submit to a member of the Commission, including Director or Funding Manager, a written or electronically written notification, including the name for the officer or member who will be acting in their stead at any point before the end of the meeting or hearing at which the request is to be heard. The club may not be heard and approved of funds until the proxy notification is received. Any ASUN appointed or elected officers may not represent their organization’s interest or serve as proxy before the ASUN Club Commission. Only undergraduate members will be allowed.


  1. What if I can’t make my assigned Funding Hearing time?

If your club cannot make the assigned time, please reach out to your Commissioner and the Assistant Director as soon as possible. The Commission will do their best to accommodate all clubs and organizations.


  1. What if I don’t spend all of the money I requested in a Funding Period?

You have the option of asking the Commission remit your funds. Remittance is a process established by the Commission that allows clubs to have unused funds not count against their Tier caps for the year. Unused Operations Tier funding is automatically remitted a month after the application is funded by the Commission and, after that month elapses, the funding granted at that date is rendered inaccessible. Your club must schedule a remittance meeting if you are remitting funds from any other Tier. Please reach out to the Assistant Director of Clubs and Orgs to be placed on the next agenda for remittance of funds. Remittance can be requested by the club at any time. Any funds not remitted, will count towards your club’s Tier cap.


  1. Can I use past invoices as supporting documentation?

Yes, you can use past or previous year’s invoices as valid supporting documentation. This is used frequently in the Sports and Recreation coalition when requesting for security and games. However, be aware that the Commission can only fund you up to the price that is listed in the supporting documentation.


  1. My club is requesting money for flights through Club Support Funding. How far in advance should I request?

Club should request funding for flights in the Funding Period during which they plan on spending. For example, if the Fall II Funding Period fell between November 20th and February 4th and you don’t plan on traveling until April 3rd but the day you want to buy the flights is January 29th, you should submit a Travel Tier application for the Fall II Funding Period. Otherwise, you should request for a later Funding Period.